Happy Earth Day, Y'all!

I'm not the most environmentally conscious person, but I take small steps or measures to help where I can. I wanted to share two new things we've been doing to help out the earth and ourselves.

Reusable produce bags

We registered for these at Crate & Barrel, and we use them all the time! We have two sets, so as long as I remember to bring them with me to the store, I don't have to use plastic produce bags. I usually store the veggies in the bags in the fridge and toss them into the wash after a couple of uses.

The Buy Nothing Project is a friendly and feel-good form of reusing, and it builds community. I recently joined our neighborhood Buy Nothing Project Facebook page and have given away vases, shower curtain hooks, lamps, and even a giant bag of forgotten nail polish--all to my neighbors! I've also picked up summer hats for Baby K, a set of 19 Nancy Drew books, and a 1940s art deco compote dish. 

Their mission statement: "We offer people a way to give and receive, share, lend, and express gratitude through a worldwide network of hyper-local gift economies in which the true wealth is the web of connections formed between people who are real-life neighbors."

Find a project near you!

Cleaning products
I've been using lemon juice, baking soda, and vinegar to clean counters and shower doors--cheap, easy, and effective! Check out this handy chart for how to mix natural cleaning solutions.

I just ordered some essential oils and spray bottles to up my game a bit! Real Simple had a great article in their May 2015 issue with natural recipes to replace most of the cleaners we use in our house.

Reused/recycled materials
Ok, so I don't do a lot of creating (other than edible things), so I'm not very helpful there. But I do know people who do a great job of creating amazing things out of materials that have served their purpose in their first life. My friend David and his wife Lang live on a sailboat near us around Anacortes. Lang makes these gorgeous bags and totes out of old sail cloths and sells them on Etsy. Her work is absolutely beautiful, and I'm trying to justify my need for another tote. Look at this! 

How about you? What little steps have you started recently to take better care of our home?



Comments

  1. Thanks for the mention Sara! I'm excited to follow your blog. Great food ideas!! Happy Earth Day!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts