Everyday Granola

I go for weeks at a time eating Greek yogurt, berries, and granola for breakfast. I used to buy granola in bulk, but I recently realized that even the bulk prices are a little crazy, and that granola doesn't have to be complicated to be just as delicious as the fancy-bagged granola at boutique shops.



This is a good basic recipe that's easily customized with your favorites. I use slivered almonds because I like how consistent the pieces are, especially given the similar size of the rolled oats. You can use whatever nut you'd like--just chop them coarsely.

(PS: I'm trying something different with this post--I'm adding a 5x7 recipe card. Let me know if I should keep doing them!)

Everyday Granola
Adapted from Cooks Illustrated
⅓ cup maple syrup
⅓ cup packed (2 ⅓ ounces) light brown sugar
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup vegetable oil
5 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
2 cups (10 ounces) slivered almonds
2 cups dried fruit, chopped if the pieces are big (I like dried blueberries and currants)

Heat oven to 325 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.

Whisk maple syrup, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt in large bowl, then whisk in the oil. Fold in oats and almonds until thoroughly coated.

Pour into the pan and spread across sheet into thin, even layer. Using stiff metal spatula, compress the mixture. Bake until lightly browned, 40 to 45 minutes, rotating pan once halfway through baking.

Remove the granola from oven and cool on wire rack to room temperature, about 1 hour. Break cooled granola into pieces of desired size. Stir in dried fruit. (Granola can be stored in airtight container for up to 2 weeks.)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts