Nectarine Crisp with Streusel Topping

I'm barely sneaking this one in before the last days of this summer's nectarines, but I couldn't let this year go by without sharing this with you. Lately, chocolate hasn't been as alluring to me as usual, so when nectarines called to me from the grocery bin, I hopped on board. It was the perfect end to our new patio set's maiden voyage that night; two weeks later, I made it again. I'll probably make it again next weekend, too.

This recipe follows my ideal equation--easy preparation = big payoff. It's everything that I think a crisp should be. The fruit filling is simple and plain, and the streusel topping really makes it--it forms a crust kind of like an oatmeal nut cookie. I hope the idea of that kind of cookie, together with summer fruit and a dollop of vanilla ice cream, is enough to make you rush toward the nearest nectarine bin. Let me know how it turns out.






Nectarine Crisp with Streusel Topping
Adapted from "How To Cook Everything"

Fruit filling
6 cups of sliced nectarines (about two pounds)
Juice of half a lemon (about 1.5 tbsp)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp brown sugar

Streusel Topping
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup (packed) brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans (or your favorite nut)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 c. rolled oats (not instant oats)
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt

Preheat the oven to 400. Toss the fruit filling ingredients together and spread in a well-buttered 1.5-quart baking dish. (An 8-inch square or 9-inch round works. I used an oval Corning Ware dish,)

Cream the butter and sugar using an electric mixer, food processor, or fork. Stir or pulse in the remaining ingredients until combined and crumbly; it won't hold together like a dough. (You can refrigerate or freeze until about 30 minutes before you're ready to use it. Defrost if necessary, then use.)

Crumble the mixture over the crisp. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the topping is browned and the fruit is tender and bubbling. Let stand for a few minutes, then serve with ice cream!

Comments

  1. This looks so delicious! I bet it would be killer with homemade whipped cream, too--especially if you infused it with berry flavor.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts