Giant Chocolate Toffee Cookies

Before Pinterest, I was forced to clip recipes from magazines, newspapers, or to print them off from the internet like some sort of barbarian. I have an envelope of "to make" recipes stashed away for rainy days or a culinary staycation. I so rarely get to them nowadays--our current favorites are on standard rotation, and now that it's summer, I most often turn to easy salads and sandwiches.

The recipe is vintage Epicurious, published in 2000. The ratings are very high, and the recipe is full of wonderful things, so I'm not sure why it took me nearly fifteen years to move this to my "Tried & True" file. I suppose things like "Heath bar pieces" and "one pound of chocolate" always seemed too fussy (I know, I'm cringing even now at my foolishness), so I'd turn to my easy yogurt cocoa cookies. I am ashamed. I missed out on years of these cookies. Learn from my mistakes, friends! For extra good karma, share your batch with your favorite pregnant lady. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.



Giant Chocolate Toffee Cookies
Adapted from Epicurious
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 pound bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1 3/4 cups (packed) brown sugar
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
5 1.4-ounce chocolate-covered English toffee bars (such as Heath), coarsely chopped
1 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped (optional)

Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in small bowl; whisk to blend. Stir the chocolate and butter in a double boiler (or a glass or metal bowl set on a saucepan) set over simmering water until melted and smooth. Remove the bowl from the heat and cool the mixture to lukewarm.

Using your trusty electric mixer, beat the sugar and eggs in bowl until thick, about 5 minutes, then beat in the chocolate mixture and vanilla. Stir in the dry ingredients mixture, then the toffee and nuts. Chill the batter until firm, about 45 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment or waxed paper. Drop batter by mounds of two tablespoons onto sheets, spacing them 2.5 inches apart. (I used a cookie dough scoop, with excellent results.) Bake just until tops are dry and cracked but cookies are still soft to touch, about 15 minutes. Cool sheets on wire racks.

Comments

Popular Posts